Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Chewing Gum Theory.

Some things in life are just made for you. Some good things and some pretty nasty ones. But try as you might want to, they never relieve you of your duty to cling to them. Just like chewing gum! I remember chewing gums that got stuck to my hair, my shoes. Can't understand why anybody would want to do that. Manufacture something that causes so much misery to mankind. But then, some things stick to you all your life. It could be a name or your hair style or your accent or whatever. It can consume your whole life and give you a character. Just like the chewing gum. I don't know what happens to that chewing gum. Somebody chews it to his satisfaction and then throws it away. Unfortunately, it sticks to some part of somebody and refuses to leave. You don't know how to get rid of it. I remember having this single song being played in my childhood years. And during rainy seasons, I have this feeling that a garrision of clouds are hovering over my head; plotting to wet me or worse-drown me. But in a world where nothing goes unnoticed, even the shirt that you wear becomes your identity. I had this friend who's shirt was so wierd that it's colour, pattern and design was the only one. Yes, I have never seen another one like his. In this entire universe! I think, some things become part of your own self. They become part of your torturous period of awakening. They become your nostalgia. They take you from your childhood to your teenagehood to your adulthood to your old age. Interestingly,they also develop a personality. They borrow some part of your persona. They take all your experiences along the journey. They could be the teddy bears that you hung to or the toy from your birthday gift or a pet name or a bicycle or an umbrella. They are your chewing gums. You might throw them, but they still remain. Like that song. It carried me through childhood. And as I looked back, it was still whistling its way into the dreamy eyes of some children and their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment