Thursday, January 1, 2009

Diwali revisited

Diwali is a festival of lights(nothing to do with cigarrettes). But it is also about fire-crackers(noise & air-pollution), sweets(not for weight watchers) and shopping(mostly to do with money, credit cards). I remember, once my uncle suggested that I try burning a 1000RS. note instead of the crackers to get the real 'feel-good' of the festival. I tried it but with a 2Rs. note(Why 2Rs.-b'coz of the ratio of wealth w.r.t. my uncle). Believe me...it doesn't feel all that gud. So I resorted to burning fire-crackers again. This time a rocket ran straight into my new diwali shirt. I think rockets do have a mind of their own. They have entered houses during diwali through window panes, balconies even before I had the opportunity to visit the people inside them! Anyways, I also like shopping. This is the best part before gifts start arriving. For those born late(post'95)shopping was an activity that involved an ardous task to various shops for bargains. But it was what one bought other than the school uniforms; mostly in diwali. Now with credit cards around it is a post breakfast, post lunch and post dinner activity performed under the glass facade and an air-conditioned mall. Diwali is also a festival where one gets to know that ones waist used to be couple of inches smaller. Every diwali I have a resolution to have less of something. But somehow my managerial skills have no bearing, co-ordination and understanding.....My stomach, my brain, my mouth, my hands work on a warpath. Then I assume it's none of my fault.......So hey....I just remembered enjoy diwali and come back to work-your boss, teachers would be waiting for you. And don't light a fire-cracker hand-holding it. I've tried it and sometimes it still does not blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment